Minnesota Brownfields is Hiring!
Founded in 2006, Minnesota Brownfields (MNB) provides an expansive offering of educational programs and services, in addition to facilitating an inclusive platform for discussion to assist with the identification of brownfields redevelopment barriers and solutions. Minnesota Brownfields is committed to identifying solutions and promoting equitable brownfield cleanup across the state, while fostering a collaborative community engagement process. A brownfield is a property that may have been contaminated by past use, and risks creating negative health and economic impacts for populations living in proximity.
The Program Coordinator works closely with the Executive Director, Development Director, the Board and select member committees to support MNB’s mission and implement the organizational work plan.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Educational programs: Assist in planning, organizing and delivering educational programs, including developing agendas, outreach to speakers, and logistics. The audience of MNB’s educational programs are brownfield professionals in the state (environmental consultants, attorneys, developers, contractors, and local and state level public officials, among others). The programs focus on brownfields technical and policy issues. The Program Coordinator will also support in organizing community education programs, which target urban areas, environmental justice (EJ) communities, and outstate communities, to reinforce participation in the redevelopment process. (30% of time)
- Research: Supervise/coordinate students undertaking research relevant to MNB’s focus areas, including new concepts and regulatory requirements in brownfields, brownfield redevelopment in EJ zones, and other topics such as the benefits of brownfield redevelopment. (10% of time)
- Community outreach: Support in outreach to outstate communities, EJ communities and other entities/individuals new to the organization, and contribute to the elaboration and implementation of MNB’s outreach strategies. (10% of time)
- Grants management: Coordinate and administer brownfield assessment grant programs, as contractual obligations of MNB. Specifically, this concerns a $200,000 annual grant program operated in partnership with Hennepin County to fund environmental assessments being undertaken by nonprofits. (20% of time)
- Communication: Undertake Minnesota Brownfield’s communication program consisting of publishing a monthly e-newsletter, sending e-blasts on upcoming programs, updating website content, maintaining an on-line calendar of events, and publishing program information via social media. (20% of time)
- Administration: Support the Executive Director, Board and MNB Committees with administrative and other needs. (10% of time)
Statement of Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One (1) to three (3) years of work experience preferred. Candidates with master’s degrees and/or more work experienced also encouraged to apply. Additional experience will be taken into consideration when determining compensation.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office required. Experience with WordPress, eTapestry, Constant Contact and Zoom – or the ability to quickly learn them – preferred
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Creative, willing to take initiative, with the ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with program planning or event planning a plus.
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to EJ issues a plus.
- A commitment to Minnesota Brownfields’ mission and the ability to communicate the mission, goals, and programs effectively to partners and the public.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a mission and employee‐focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including benefits. Salary is expected to be around $40,000, negotiable based on experience. MNB staff work remotely much of the time, but should be based within the state. MNB is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. BIPOC individuals and women encouraged to apply. To learn more about Minnesota Brownfields, visit www.mnbrownfields.org.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Close consideration will be given to candidates applying by April 9. This position will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit materials early. Open until filled.