2018 State of Brownfields: A State and Federal Policy Update
The 2018 State of Brownfields will feature a breakdown of key Minnesota and Federal policy initiatives from the past year. It was a busy year for redevelopment in Washington, D.C. and in St. Paul with significant legislative impacts for brownfield redevelopment in the metro area and in Greater Minnesota. In addition, hear a brief update on the Minnesota Brightfields Initiative: an inter-disciplinary group working to advance solar energy on capped landfills in Minnesota. As always, the event is your place to stay current with recent and future policy developments affecting brownfield redevelopment.
June 19, 2018
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM: Registration and Networking
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Program
The offices of Stinson, Leonard, Street: 50 South 6th St #2600, Minneapolis, MN 55402
Member – $40
Non-Member – $65
City of St. Cloud
Monte Hilleman, St. Paul Port Authority
Paul Hyde, Hyde Development
Lucy McMartin, City of Winona
Senator Erik Simonson, Minnesota Senate (Jobs & Economic Growth Finance & Policy; Environment & Natural Resources Finance Committees)
Josh Straka, Office of U.S. Representative Betty McCollum (MN-04)
Paula Sunde, Office of U.S. Senator Tina Smith (MN)
Charlie Vander Aarde, Metro Cities
U.S Environmental Protection Agency Grant-Writing Workshop for Minnesota and Wisconsin Communities
Brownfields Bootcamp: An Educational Series for New Brownfield Professionals
Are you a recent graduate or newer redevelopment professional looking to broaden and deepen your base knowledge and skills across a range of disciplines? This customized training sequence brings subject matter experts together with newer professionals from diverse fields consisting of: economic development specialists, environmental remediation specialists, engineers, developers, construction professionals, attorneys, lenders, regulatory department staff (including stormwater, solid waste, and tax forfeiture), and more. Participants will learn and connect as a cohort with topic experts to learn the fundamentals and start-to-finish best practices of brownfield redevelopment using real-world case studies, to help participants stay competitive and accelerate redevelopment projects.
Limited Space Available: Unlike Minnesota Brownfields traditional programming, this sequence is capped at 50 in-person participants to build a strong and connected cohort.
Distance Learning Option: By demand, this sequence will be available via live stream/videoconferencing. This option is a good choice for attendees outside of Minnesota, or for Minnesota attendees who are unable to attend all sessions in person.
- Hands-on, practical training that will equip newer professionals with the skills and knowledge in a range of areas representing all facets of contaminated site remediation and redevelopment. An understanding of how developers, brokers, environmental professionals, attorneys, and regulators work together to complete a successful brownfield redevelopment.
- Brownfield Bootcamp Insiders’ binder of redevelopment resources and references.
- Networking opportunity with diverse redevelopment sector professionals.
- Continuing education credits: Continuing Legal Education (CLE); Professional Development Hours (PDH) for Engineers, Geologists and Landscape Architects.
- Certificate of completion (full course attendance required).
- Course consists of six content sessions, three tours, and two social events.
- 100% attendance is required to receive certificate of completion (in-person or live stream participation).
- Public Sector/Non-Profit rate: $345
- Private Sector rate: $695
Schedule: All sessions start at 2:00 P.M. and finish by 4:30 P.M.
Speakers and venues will be added in June
- Session 1: September 19, 2018 – Brownfield Redevelopment Primer (location: 701 Xenia Ave South, St. Louis Park, 55416)
- Session 2: October 24, 2018 – Site Investigations
- Session 3: December 6, 2018 – Response Action Plans and Materials Management
- Project Site Tour & Social Reception: January 16, 2019
- Session 5: February 20, 2019 – Risk and Exposure
- Session 6: March 20, 2019 – Project Financing – includes project site tour. (location: Northern Stacks Dr, Fridley, 55421)
- Session 7: April 24, 2019 – Finalizing the Brownfield Project (includes project site tour and social reception)
Please direct any questions or requests to info@mnbrownfields or call 651-328-4402.
Thursday, November 15