Brownfields Bootcamp: An Educational Series for New Brownfield Professionals
This customized training sequence brings subject matter experts together with newer professionals from diverse fields consisting of: economic development specialists, environmental remediation specialists, engineers, developers, construction professionals, attorneys, lenders, regulatory department staff (including stormwater, solid waste, and tax forfeiture), and more. Participants will learn and connect as a cohort with topic experts to learn the fundamentals and start-to-finish best practices of brownfield redevelopment using real-world case studies, to help participants stay competitive and accelerate redevelopment projects.
- Hands-on, practical training that will equip newer professionals with the skills and knowledge in a range of areas representing all facets of contaminated site remediation and redevelopment. An understanding of how developers, brokers, environmental professionals, attorneys, and regulators work together to complete a successful brownfield redevelopment.
- Brownfield Bootcamp Insiders’ binder of redevelopment resources and references.
- Networking opportunity with diverse redevelopment sector professionals.
- Continuing education credits: 8 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits; Professional Development Hours (PDH) for Engineers, Geologists and Landscape Architects.
- Certificate of completion (full course attendance required).
Please direct any questions or requests to info@mnbrownfields or call 651-328-4402.
Schedule: All sessions start at 2:00 P.M. and finish by 4:30 P.M.
Brownfield Redevelopment Primer – September 19 – 701 Xenia Ave South, St. Louis Park, 55416 (WSB)
- High level overview of brownfield redevelopment process & considerations: site selection, budgets, ROI
- Legal issues involved in brownfield/redevelopment property transactions
Speakers: Monte Hilleman, St. Paul Port Authority; Sue Steinwall, Fredrikson & Byron
Site Investigations – October 24 – 4300 MarketPointe Dr, Minneapolis 55435 (Barr Engineering) Includes social hour and networking after session
- Best approaches: Phase I/II do’s and don’ts, pre-demolition hazardous building materials surveys, how to successfully deal with geo-technical and site/layout challenges
- Role of MPCA/regulatory process
Speakers: Ken Haberman, Landmark Environmental; Sheryl Filby Williams, Barr Engineering
Response Action Plans and Materials Management – December 6 – 700 Meadow Lane North, Minneapolis, 55422 (Mortenson)
- Response Action Plans & managing clean-up on-site
- How to succesfully navigate regulatory standards
- Assurance letters & Institutional controls
- Intro to SRVs/ISVs/HRLs
Speakers: David Liverseed, Mortenson; Chris Thompson, Braun Intertec
Site Tour & Social Reception – January 16, 2019 – 807 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis, 55413 (Highlight Center & Able Seedhouse). Project tour by Hillcrest Development
Risk and Exposure – February 20, 2019 – 80 South 8th Street, 500 IDS Center, Minneapolis, 55402 (Gray Plant Mooty)
- What is risk assessment? How to limit risk?
- Exposure vs risk, exposure routes
- Standards revisited: risk levels for soil/groundwater/vapor
- Legal implications
- Role of environmental insurance
Speakers: Eric Hesse, Terracon; Rick Kubler, Gray Plant Mooty; Michael McGinn, JLT Specialty USA
Project Financing (includes site tour) – March 20, 2019 – Northern Stacks Dr, Fridley, 55421 (Northern Stacks)
- Project finance plan, development costs vs. environmental costs.
- End uses: how they drive the economics of redevelopment projects
- Paying for it: public resources & grant application insider tips
Speakers; Paul Hyde, Hyde Development; Kevin Carroll, City of Minneapolis CPED
Finalizing the Brownfield Project (includes site tour & social reception) – April 24, 2019 – 202 7th St W, St Paul, MN 55102 (Oxbō & Seventh Street Truck Park)
- Completing the project, process review.
- How to communicate effectively with all parties: public, developer, city, broker, etc.
Speakers: Kim Donat, Wellington Management; Richard Manser, OPUS
ReScape Awards – Thursday, November 15
Visit our ReScape Awards page for more information.