Internships offer valuable work experience, excellent networking, a flexible schedule and an opportunity to contribute to sustainable land use in Minnesota.
Internships with Minnesota Brownfields provide an excellent opportunity to learn about contaminated land cleanup and reuse in Minnesota. We work with a diverse group of stakeholders spanning the public and private sectors: attorneys, cities and counties, environmental consultants and engineers, developers, funders, regulators, and other non-profit organizations. Interns are needed in the following areas:
Research & Policy
See specific internship descriptions below. Internships are unpaid, 10-15 hours/week, and generally last for an academic term (4 months). We do not discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. To apply for an internship please submit a Cover Letter and Resume via email. Although Minnesota Brownfields is based in Minneapolis, some internship activities may be suitable for students wishing to work remotely from a location outside of the Twin Cities Metro Area. Please contact us to discuss this option.
Application deadline for Fall positions: August 15 (All Positions Filled – No Longer Accepting Applications)
Application deadline for Spring positions: December 30
Application deadline for Summer positions: April 30
2801 21st Avenue South, Suite 145
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Communications/Media Internship – General Responsibilities
- Conduct interviews and research for concentrated media approaches.
- Assist in the production, editing, and marketing of short educational videos on brownfield redevelopment strategies.
- Desired skills/interests: videography, photography, digital design, communications, environmental science, public health.
- Requirements: Applicants must be an upperclassmen at an accredited college or university in Minnesota.
- This internship may involve work and or travel in the Duluth, MN area.
Marketing Internship – General Responsibilities
- Support the development and execution of marketing collateral (brochure, newsletter, email campaigns, etc.) and update copy on website to align with current initiatives.
- Conduct Market Research and develop new activities to align with current trends in the market
- Maintain and develop social media initiatives – LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.
- Develop strong media relations within the community to support upcoming events and award presentations.
Nonprofit Management Internship – General Responsibilities
- Support strategic planning processes of the Board of Directors.
- Assist in developing budgets and other financial reports.
- Assist in coordinating MN Brownfields Education and Research Programs.
- Identify state and national foundations suitable for funding proposals.
- Assist in preparation of key communications, including Annual Report.
Research & Policy Internship – General Responsibilities
- Collaborate in research projects related to brownfield cleanup and redevelopment in MN. Project examples include: measuring benefits of public investment in cleanup and redevelopment; brownfield public health indicators.
- Provide research assistance for public forums on a variety of redevelopment-related topics.
- Track federal, state and local policy changes affecting efficient cleanup and redevelopment.
- Assist Minnesota Brownfields’ Board of Directors and Executive Director in other research and program development activities as needed.